Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pheaturing Ava Aston

Hello, welcome back to another entry of the Phile. Here's some good news, I guess, Forbes... or as I like to call it Phorbes, just came out with its list of the world’s richest people. And no, I'm not in it. Bill Gates is no longer the richest person. He would still be No. 1 if he hadn’t wasted all that money on charity. Carlos Slim is the world’s richest man. It’s an ironic name because he’s actually not so slim at all. Did daylight-saving time screw you over last Sunday? It almost did me. With it we lost an hour of our lives. It’s like nature’s version of Facebook. Why couldn’t they spring forward an hour during the Oscars? I hate daylight saving time. I hate springing forward a lot more than I like falling back, which is the story of my life. “Spider-Man the Musical” has been delayed for the sixth time. They’re working to address the main problem, which is the fact that they made a musical about Spider-Man. Charlie Sheen is going to do live stage shows in Detroit and Chicago. Charlie says a dollar from every ticket will go to the Red Cross for the Japanese earthquake. Every other dollar will go to hookers. President Obama said he was always getting in trouble when he was in middle school. In fact, Obama said he talked so much during class, the teacher had to take away his teleprompter. A new study found that stress and hard work can actually lead to a longer life. Or as the Kardashians are reporting it, “Please pray for us.” So, are any of you reading this on the new iPad 2? It’s estimated that more than 600,000 iPad 2s were sold this past weekend. The lines were so long that by the time I got to the front they were selling the iPad 7. Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day everyone. In Irish lore, leprechauns hide their pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. But here in Florida, things are a little different — at the end of the rainbow, there’s just a gay bar. A lot of people are gonna be drinking, which is weird, because I had no idea the Irish were such big drinkers. Did you see the final flypast of the Harrier Jump jet on TV last week? After the announcement of the withdrawal of its funding, the jets flew over England and when I looked at the picture on an angle and squinted I noticed something. Sometimes I love being British.


From the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is this week's...


Top Ten Charlie Sheen Tweets
10. Sun's coming up. SHOTS!!
9. Did anyone TiVo "1984"? I missed it. Not the movie, the year.
8. Just lost another tooth, no cavity... winning.
7. Come on; give a guy a 27th chance!
6. Can't talk now... Sheening.
5. Hit rock bottom -- going on the Peverett Phile.
4. I'm waiting for my 15 minutes of anonymity.
3. Never call out "Goddess One" when you're in bed with Goddess Two. Am I right, fellas?
2. Tiger Blood, Adonis DNA, Warlock... Seriously, why are you following this?
And the number one Sheen Tweet is...
1. Duh, Tweeting.



Nate Dogg
August 19, 1969 - March 15, 2011
Sit. Stay.
David Broder
September 11, 1929 - March 9, 2011
So this was the guy who pioneered getting people to knock on your door at 7am to ask who you were going to vote for? What a dick.



This is the 14th book to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Book Club.

Toby Hadoke, one of the authors will be a guest on the Phile in two weeks.


Today's guest is a singer, actress and model whose album "Gone" and her latest single "We the People" are available on iTunes right now. Please welcome to the Phile... Ava Aston.

Me: Hello, Ava, welcome to the Phile. We have to thank my friend James for introducing me to you. So, how are you?

Ava: Thanks Jay, it's great to be here and thank you for asking me. Let me tell you up front, I'm Greek and I love to talk... so this isn't going to be your shortest interview by a long shot- just sayin'. Grab a cup of coffee, buckle your seat belt, make sure your helmet is strapped tight - we’re in for a long bumpy ride.

Me:
Ava, you are from Upstate New York, right? Do you still live there?

Ava: Yes, I am from Upstate N.Y., born & raised, but I have not lived there in a few years. I currently live just outside NYC.

Me: Ava, I purchased your CD "Gone" from iTunes as well as the single "We The People". Was the single recorded after the album came out?

Ava: Oh, you're the one... thank you for buying my music. You saved me from selling my CD's out of the trunk of my car on the Palisades Parkway! No just kidding, but seriously, Jay, thanks! The biggest honor to me is when someone buys my music. As you know the single, "We The People" is not on the "Gone" CD. "We the People" is one of those rare songs that came into my Greek noggin from out of the blue. I just knew I had to record it and get it out there because of the timelines of the message. It was recorded after the “Gone” CD.

Me: It's a very patriotic song, Ava, something I could imagine Toby Keith singing. What influenced you to write and record it?

Ava: I was watching everything around me that was going on in politics and felt helpless and that no one understood what I was feeling. The story about how the song came to be is on my Facebook page under the “notes” section. It’s a little long. The short of it is, I was still working my “pay the bills” job at the time – which like all aspiring musician/actors in NYC is bartender/cater waiter. Almost everyone I worked with was under the “trance” if you will – and one day at an event during fashion week I was very frustrated and the chords popped into my head and I started to write it down on a cocktail napkin. By the time I left work I had the first verse and chorus done… stayed up til 4am, and the rest is as they say is history. :D

Me: Did you write all the other songs on "Gone"?

Ava: I wrote or co-wrote most of them, yes. On the actual CD – it notes which ones I wrote. Which I might add, can be purchased only through my website (which for anyone who order’s will be sent direct with love to you from me) :D or of course it can be downloaded on iTunes.

Me: You must be working on a new album, is that right?

Ava: I am not in the studio per se, but I'm always working on my music when I am not out performing.

Me: I read that you performed at the White House. Were you nervous? How on Earth did you get invited?

Ava: I have been invited twice. Once for the lighting of the Christmas tree celebration and most recently as part of the Election Day rallies for the mid-term elections in November 2010. The second performance was actually on the Capital lawn and not the White House, but close enough. Actually both times have been word of mouth and recommended me to the producers of the events. As far as being nervous, not really. I love to be singing on a stage, any stage. It is my absolute favorite place to be in the whole world.

Me: Did they have a band set up for you or did you have to bring your own band?

Ava: The first time I sang to a track due to the nature of the situation. The second time was A capella.

Me: Was that for Bush? Did you meet him?

Ava: No, it was not unfortunately :D, and I wish it was. It is actually one of my goals to meet him. I have a tremendous respect for him.

Me: And you have sung the National Anthem at most sporting events. How many times have you sang it? I bet you know it by heart now.

Ava: I have sung the National Anthem way too many times to count. And yes, I have the words memorized. They frown on holding sheet music while you are singing on National TV in front of a bazillion people. ;D

Me: You're a supporter of Sarah Palin, is that right? Have you met her?

Ava: Yes, I think she is an incredibly strong woman who is a lot smarter than the main stream media gives her credit for. She is a force of nature that speaks for the values of so many Americans today who feel that many of our politicians are not speaking for the will of the people.

Me: Do you think she will ever run for President?

Ana: I don’t know, one can only hope.

Me: A while ago I asked my readers on the Phile if they can post on her Facebook page she should be interviewed for the Phile. Can you help with that? That's not a joke, my goal really is to interview her.

Ava: Well, I don’t have her number on speed dial. :D However if the situation ever comes up where I can help with that, I’m all on it. I love helping friends whenever I can.

Me: I love interviewing people who not only do one thing, but many. You also act, right? Have you done many tv shows that I would of seen? Or any movies?

Ava: So far I have done some commercials, a little TV and some independent films. Probably the one you’re most likely to see is a commercial for “Cystex Cranberry” it is running nationally on cable and is in my actor demo reel which is on my website acting page.

Me: I know you have done commercials. And I have to hand it to you, I never though I would interview somebody who has done a Hydroxycut Advanced commercial. What made you sign on to do that?

Ava: I did a transformation for them in the fall of 09’. I have always worked out and been healthy, however it was a personal goal of mine. I went from a sz. 6 to a 0-2. After my transformation which was a lot of hard work, I did p90x, Insanity, and a lot of other hard training programs, I was invited to participate in two commercials and photoshoots.

Me: By the way, I have to thank the folks at Hydroxycut Advanced. I bet that was a fun photoshoot.

Ava: Yes it was, I had the pleasure to be photographed by a world-renowned fitness photographer Paul Bucetta.

Me: Ava, you seem so busy with the modeling, acting and singing. Do you ever get a chance and go on tour?

Ava: I would love to. The opportunity hasn't presented itself yet. I'll be the opening act for the Goo Goo Dolls, Heart or whoever wants a Greek Blonde girl to open their show.

Me: Ever played down here in Florida?

Ava: I've built sand castles on Daytona Beach. Does that count as playing in Florida?

Me: Only if you're five. LOL. You've been singing most of your life I am guessing. What do you prefer most? Acting or singing?

Ava: Do I really have to choose? I don’t want to… Well ok, if I have to pick one, it would be singing no question. Because I have been singing since I could talk. As a singer in a sense I am acting the part of the song’s content while I am on stage singing. So it's like I can do both of my favorite things at the same time. Singing just makes my heart happy.

Me: I saw you have your own blogspot. It's pretty cool, but when I first looked at it I almost shit my pants, excuse my language. The first thing I see is a headline that said "Facebook Closing Down". That's not funny, Ava. I would be sad. How would you feel if Facebook closed down?

Ava: It's like if they were filming a reality series about my life, that is what my blog is all about. I love my blog. It's a chance where I can just be me and be a little silly. If Facebook closed down, I would be sad as well as it is a great way for me to expose my music to more fans. As well as stay in contact with them.

Me: Speaking of, you are one of the smart artists who are using social networks such as Facebook, Myspace and Twitter your music. Tell the Phile readers how many hits your music on Myspace got.

Ava: Not to brag or anything, Jay, but I know it is over a million - But since you asked, 1,166,044 to be exact - just sayin'.

Me: And you have a certain Facebook goal, right?

Ava: Well, how high can you count? Actually my next goal is 10,000 and I am almost there. Then I will raise my goal to 25,000.

Me: I like to ask my guests about different charities they support. You support Juvenile Diabetes Research and something called the Progeria Research Foundation. Can you explain what that is. How did you come to support both those charities? The Phile is a proud supporter of Generation Rescue by the way. You should check them out.

Ava: I will check them out. Progeria is a heartbreaking very rare terminal aging disease. I became aware of it because a fan of mine has it. It’s amazing the strength and courage these kids show under such difficult circumstances. I want to do whatever I can to raise awareness to help raise money to find a cure for this heartbreaking disease. The JDRF is important to me as I have a family member who is a type one diabetic. I find it insane that we can put a man on the moon yet we can not come up with a way for a type one diabetic to live without needles. The JDRF is working to find a cure, so I want to again do what I can to raise awareness and funds to help find a cure. I also support the Heroes at the ASPCA. Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely adore animals, and will do whatever I can to stop animal neglect and abuse everywhere. The ASPCA does amazing work and they need funds in order to do it. If I can help, I want to do everything within my power.

Me: So, what's next for you, Ava? Anything exciting coming up?

Ava: Who knows what my manager is going to come up with, but I want to get back in the studio and do a new album and tour to support the new CD.

Me: I really like your music and I know my friend James will be happy you are finally here on the Phile. Go ahead and plug your websites and anything else you want to plug.

Ava: Tell James thanks. First and foremost I would like to tell everyone where they can buy my music: My CD can be purchased at my website store: www.avaaston.com/store.html, or at iTunes. And if they want to follow me, here are the links: Ava Aston website is: www.avaaston.com, Ava Aston Twitter is: twitter.com/#!/Avaaston, Ava Aston Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/pages/Ava-Aston/47473096068, Ava Aston Myspace Page is: myspace.com/avaaston, Ava Aston blog is: avaaston.blogspot.com/ and Ava Aston YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/avaaston.

Me: I wish you a lot of luck, and you are welcomed back to the Phile any time you have a new project out. Continued success, Ava.

Ava: God Bless you, Jay. I appreciate you having me at the Phile. Hey, WTH, is that a lava lamp you have over there??



Well, that about does it for another entry of the Phile. Before I go and wrap this entry up, director Ari Gold who I interviewed on the Phile a while ago wanted to tell you guys something. So, here he is...

Ari: Hey, Jason it's Ari, just wanted to remind you that today (Wednesday) is the last day to bid on the instruments, backstage passes, lunches, lessons, and more from all different artists coming together to save kids' music education. The awesome Wilco is matching the winning donation on their item. Please spread the word, thanks! Bid at: PowerSavesTheMusic.com. Thanks.

You heard the man, phans, bid. I will bid on something as well. Okay, thanks to Ava Aston for a fantastic interview and to James Linder, phriend and Phile reader for suggesting I interview her. The Phile will be back next week with Chuck Silver, guitarist for the crazy band Sci-Fried. And then the week after that it's Peverett Phile Book Author Toby Hadoke. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.




No comments:

Followers