Monday, August 22, 2011

Pheaturing Alumni Baub Eis

Hello, and welcome to a Monday entry of the Phile, how is everybody doing? I still feel like shit in case you're wondering. Well, a new survey has Rick Perry ahead of Mitt Romney by eleven points, and Michele Bachmann is five points behind him. I think it’s going to come down to who wears the most flag pins. Perry is an attractive candidate for many conservatives, because he wants smaller government, to cut national spending, and he knows how to fire a grenade launcher. He’s like the Sarah Palin of politics. Perry was a Democrat at one time, but only once, when he was experimenting in college. Donald Trump may be running for president, and why not? He’s got that everyman quality that we can all relate to.  The price of gold is at a record high. It’s so high that an angry mob looted Mr. T. The CEO of Starbucks said that President Obama shouldn’t be vacationing during a crisis, and that he should be getting Americans back to work — so they can afford a $9 cup of coffee. The White House is pointing out that all presidents take vacation. Teddy Roosevelt took trips to Long Island, Harry Truman would go to Key West, and George Bush would go to Legoland. A brawl broke out during a Joe Biden speech in China. Apparently, someone was blocking the exit. Okay, so yesterday I showed an inspirational poster that made no sense to me of a math problem of sort sort, right.  Well, I found another inspirational poster that made no sense to me. Check it out.

Did you see the new Rick Perry ad? If you didn't, check it out. 


What a scumbag. Speaking of politics, now that Obama is on vacation and did really good on his campaign tour I thought I would invite 'friend' Reince Priebus, the RNC Chairman back on the Phile and let him know how well Obama did. So, once again, please welcome back to the Phile RNC Chairman Reince Priebus in a pheature I call...


Me: Hello, Chairman, welcome back to the Phile. So, the President did well on his re-election tour. Do you know how much money he raised so far? Millions.

Reince: Yes, Barack Obama has already raised over $86 million for his 2012 re-election effort from his liberal elitist friends coast-to-coast.

Me: That's not bad, is it? What can you say about that, Chairman?

Reince: All the campaign cash in the world and the desperate effort by his adoring mainstream media allies to paint a rosy picture over the Obama Recession can't hide the truth from Americans who are hurting. He went and will go on a taxpayer-funded stunt to try and recapture the glory days of 2008's "Hope & Change" and once again use the liberal media to pull the wool over the American people's eyes.

Me: Pull the wool over the American people's eyes? What do you mean?

Reince: Obama may be looking to cruise Main Street, USA, but his policies have America headed for a "debt" end.

Me: Look, Chairman, I don't think anybody can complain what the President is doing. The American people still love him, maybe not as much, but they still do.

Reince: Friend, America simply cannot allow Obama and his Chicago political machine handlers to spin more fiction about his so-called "moderation" and "bipartisanship" around what is clearly the most radical left-wing White House that America has ever seen. You can help frustrate their schemes today.

Me: So, let's get one thing clear, you think the President has ruined the economy?

Reince: Friend, Barack Obama has driven the American economy into a ditch.

Me: And what do you call his bus tour again? 

Reince: His "Debt-End" Bus which will visit as many of the "57 states" as possible to hoodwink the voters with more empty promises and misplaced blame. 

Me: Thank you as always for being so negative, Chairman.



The fifth artist to be pheatured in the P.P.A.G. is Danielle Soloud and this is one of her sketches. Danielle will be a guest on the Phile next Sunday.




Alrighty, today's guest was first on the Phile way back on December 21st, 2008. He was actually the fourth guest I ever had on the Phile and the first male. Anyway, he is the guitar player for the Geoff Stein Project and the Baub Eis Band who will be playing at Shady Gators in Lake Ozark, Missouri on August 23rd. Please welcome back to the Phile... Baub Eis.


Me: Hello, Baub, welcome back to the Phile. So, how have you been?

Baub: I've been really good. Summer is in the air. The long deep snowy winter is just a thing of the past. Mountain biking is back in full swing in the Ozarks, so I can't really complain.

Me: You were the first male interview I had on the Phile, Baub. Are you honored?

Baub: I'm not really sure. I probably just would have stuck with the women.

Me: Have you been following the Phile since you've been on?

Baub: I tune in once and a while. I have lots of things to keep up with. But once and a while I will see a reference to your site in the log files on my website so I'll sneak back and take a peek at what's going on.

Me: Okay, I noticed you have your own band The Baub Eis Band, which you had for 15 years, right? When you were here before you were the guitarist for The Geoff Stein Project who had a great album out called "Coconut Coasters". Is the GSP still together?

Me: GSP has always been a studio band. It's mostly comprised of folks from the BEB (Baub Eis Band). Either current members or members from the past, and or just music friends of mine. Geoff is the song writer and I just lined up all the players and did the producing.

Me: How is Geoff?

Baub: Geoff was actually in the hospital for a while. Had some sort of crazy kidney failure? He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. He is doing better now, but still has to monitor things pretty closely.

Me: Any new projects with that band?

Baub: We are actually in the middle of another CD. We are really close and actually really dragging behind. Mostly because of my performance schedule. The new CD is actually really awesome if we could just get the last 10% finished up and mixed down.

Me: Let's talk about your other band, your own one, The Baub Eis Band... who is in this band with you?

Baub: Johnny Marsi plays drums and sings lead and back up vocals. KP Hauge plays bass guitar and brings comic relief to the show. I play guitar and sing and do the live looping stuff.

Me: You are currently looking for a new lead singer, is that right? Will you be putting an album out when you find one?

Baub: We will probably do one without a singer if we have to. John and I sing enough if we have to. We really need more of a front man. I've have a studio here at the house, so we do record a lot of stuff. We just are always so busy playing anymore its tough to stay motivated. LOL.

Me: I listened to your song "Filthy Mouth" and liked it a lot, Baub. That song needs to be put up on iTunes so I can download it. Did you write said song?

Baub: Actually John our drummer wrote that one. It was one of those songs that just kind of came together at rehearsal one night. We recorded it, listened back the next couple of days and then changed a few things and viola! We had a song. We also talked about just getting that song
mastered and posted on iTunes.

Me: Does your band do a lot of originals or mostly covers? It's a different style of band then the GSP is, isn't it?

Baub: Yeah, the BEB does a lot of both. We do a lot of covers too, but we aren't the play the record note for note kind of guys. We really consider ourselves more of a rock/blues/jam band. We have been trying to work in more live looping into our shows. As a three piece there is a lot of space we can fill, so we have been experimenting with that a lot. And also loading samples into the looper of different noises, political speeches and robot noises and just randomly throwing weird stuff in here and there.

Me: You guys are based in Missouri in the Ozarks. Do you still live there?

Baub: Yeah, we all live at the Lake of the Ozarks, here in Missouri. It's a big tourist town so we do a lot of shows a year here. We usually play 50-75 shows a year, plus we all have full time jobs too. With this economy you have to have two jobs if not three.

Me: Baub, one thing I didn't ask you about before is the origin of your name. It's very original and sounds European. Is it? Does it have a meaning?

Baub: I'm actually Robert Eis, III. So we had three Bob's that all lived in the same town growing up, so I changed it to differentiate myself from the rest of the Bob's in my life. The family name of Eis is actually German.

Me: Let's talk about The Homegrown Show, Baub. I didn't realize you were host of your own radio show. How long have you been doing that show, Baub?

Baub: I've been doing the Homegrown Show for 3 or 4 years now. I think I have done 150 shows or something like that? If St. Louis Rams play at 12:30, I don't have a show that week, which cancels a few shows during the year, but I actually kind of welcome the break. It's always a hustle to get bands lined up. And they always cancel at the last minute too! So take that bands! If you want to ever get anywhere in life as a musician, just show up when you say you will...

Me: The same for here. I invite bands and musicians to the Phile, and some say yes, so I work on the questions after doing research, send them in and never hear from them again. I am talking to you Jonny Blu, and Elyse Haren. Okay, I got that of fmy chest. What kinda show is it? You interview different bands like I do, right?

Baub: I basically interview original Missouri based bands. Once and a while we will sneak in a cover but I primarily focus on original songs. It takes a lot of guts to write and play originals. Everyone can learn to play a cover. I want to promote the folks that are out there sticking out
their necks to play their own tunes. And the radio station really does promote the hell out of the show. I can't go out to eat without hearing a Homegrown spot on the radio. So that's really great.

Me: I always wanted a radio show, but settled on this blog instead. Is doing radio fun?

Baub: KMYK 93.5 Rocks the Lake, actually in all reality ROCKS THE LAKE, ha ha. I have had so many great opportunities from the station. I always cover the Wakarusa Festival in Northern Arkansas as they always have a lot of Missouri bands play it. But last year I got to interview Bill Kreutzman the drummer from the Grateful Dead. Now that was totally cool! I also do a lot with the Lake Fire & Rescue Shootout boat race here. I think the top-gun speed last year was 208 mph! The radio station actually sets up a TV station for the weekend, and broadcasts the show live on TV. I am the guy that puts up the graphics and speeds, etc. below the boats. I also get to put funny stuff on there. I started doing the “Hottie” cam, every time they would focus in on a boat load of hotties. I started a couple of years ago doing that, and then last year we actually had a sponsor for the “hottie” cam. How funny is that.

Me: Did you have to take any broadcast lessons?

Baub: No, when the station first started the Homegrown show, there was another host, Kevin Burns. BEB was one of the first bands on the show. And then about a year and half later, Kevin left the station and they got a new guy. The station called me because they knew of my music
connections here. So I helped him get started. And then about a year after that, he quit too. So I told the station I would be interested in doing it. They told me to record three full shows before they were ever broadcast and then they would decide on it. So, I did the three
shows and the rest was history. I already had studio experience so it was fairly easy. I had problems at first with worrying about dead air space and saying “uh” or “um”, but I just kind of worked it out. Plus the station owner has given me a lot of tips over time.

Me: Where can a Phile reader listen to your show, Baub?

Baub: If you are in Mid-Missouri, like Lake of the Ozarks, Jefferson City, Columbia, Lebanon, Warsaw or close you can hear it on Sundays at 11am on 93.5FM. If you are anywhere else, it can be streamed via the internet at 935rocksthelake.com.

Me: Thanks so much for being on the Phile again. Please come back when the next GSP album comes out. All the best... go plug your website before you go.

Baub: BAUB.com links to our Facebook and Reverb Nation pages can be found  there also. And thanks again for having me on!




There you go, that about does it for another entry. Thanks to my guests Reince Priebus and of course Baub Eis. Well, the Phile will be back with an extra entry this week on Thursday before my doctor's appointment with Alumni Kyle Reber from the band Zelazowa and then next Sunday it's artist Danielle Soloud and then on Monday it's the singer for one of my and my son's favorite bands ever. You better wear your trucker hat that day, kids. On Thursday I will let you know who it is. Until then, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Now for some Dayquil. 





No comments:

Followers