Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pheaturing Luther Dickinson From North Mississippi Allstars

Hello, evening, everybody, welcome to a Wednesday entry of the Phile. I am not as tired as I was last week. I will say this, though. if one more person sings to me, "Do You Hear What I Hear"... No, I don't. I am deaf. I have the hearing of a 60 year old, people. Speaking of hearing, did you hear a woman was making meth in a Wal-Mart. But you know, it's nice to know that something in Wal-Mart is made in America. Have you seen Ron Paul lately? Ron Paul looks like one of your old relatives. The guy that keeps sending you the blank emails. Lindsay Lohan had her purse stolen. She's missing cash, passports, and three stolen necklaces. Lindsay Lohan has been in rehab so many times the cafeteria named a sandwich after her. This was the second time the purse was stolen if you count the first time Lindsay grabbed it, you know. Luckily, she got the purse back, but the $10,000 was missing. It turns out the guy who stole it needed the money to pay off a bet with Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney tried to make a $10,000 bet with Rick Perry during a presidential debate. Well, who says the Republicans are rich snobs out of touch with the common man? Speaking of Mitt, he said if he is president he will create 11 million new jobs. Sure, they'll all be in China, but a job is a job, ladies and gentlemen. Rick Perry said there were eight supreme court justices instead of nine. But, in his defense, he did know there were only three judges on "Dancing With the Stars." Perry also said the Obama administration sent $500 million to the “country of Solyndra.” If an energy company was a country, don't you think we would've invaded it by now? Iran is now in possession of an American drone. When I heard that I thought, "Oh, my god, they captured Joe Biden?" Pope Benedict announced he's going to visit Mexico sometime next year. He will bring with him a message of hope for all the Mexican people. And then he will come to Los Angeles and give the same message to even more Mexican people. Well, today in 1503 Nostradamus born. If you write vague enough prophecies, they will fool almost anyone. So, are you kids ready for Christmas? It's like, what, eleven days away? I love this time of year, especially holiday decorations. Speaking of, take a look at this decoration.

If you are wondering what to get your kids for Christmas, how about the new Sony psp.
If you don't know what it looks like, here's a picture of it.





That's so funny. They even have Mr. Incredible in there. I want this set. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wish list. Speaking of Christmas wish lists, it's time for...

Today's list comes from that video game character Kirby. Do you know who Kirby is? Here he is if you don't.

Okay, here's Kirby's list...
1. Medicated lip balm.
2. Cold sore cream.
3. STD test.
4. Various objects put in my mouth.
5. Waddle dee. I swallowed him and I don't know where he went. Come home.

That was so stupid, I did not understand any of that, kids, so don't email me and ask. 



The 7th artist to be pheatured in the P.P.A.G. is Kim Simmonds, legendary blues guitarist from Savoy Brown and also a painter. This is one of his pieces...


This is a new piece, I think. I don't believe I showed it on the Phile. I should check. Yep, I showed it here. I don't know how I can screw that up... they are so different. Here's another one.

Kim will be a guest on the Phile in a special Saturday entry. 


This is the 16th book to be pheatured in the P.P.B.C., kids.

Jack will be a guest on the Phile Sunday.


Today's guest is one of my favorite guitarists ever. He is the lead guitarist and vocalist for the North Mississippi Allstars as well as lead guitarist for The Black Crowes. The Allstars new album "Keys to the Kingdom" is available on iTunes and in stores and they will be appearing next on December 16th at Hal & Mals in Jackson, Mississippi and on December 31st they will be playing right here in Groveland, Florida at The Bond-Fire Art and Music Festival. Please welcome to the Phile... Luther Dickinson.

Me: Hello, Luther, welcome to the Phile. Luther, not only are you the lead singer for the North Mississippi Allstars but you are also in The Black Crowes. How did that come about, and how did you meet them?

Luther: I met the crowes as NMA opened up for them a handful of times. Then the brothers started coming out and siiting in. We became friends. Rich Robinson put together a side band, Circle Sound, and invited me to play 2 shows in NYC. They went well and we really enjoyed playing together. we have alot in common, musically and the way we play. We speak the same language. Then Rich called and asked me to play on "Warpaint."

Me: Are you going to be on any future albums with the Crowes? 

Luther: We are recording right now.

Me: The Crowes include brothers Chris & Rich, and you are in the NMA with your brother Cody. Are the dynamics the same? Man, I sounded so smart there.

Luther: Both bands are a group of guys who grew up playing together and have a very special chemistry.

Me: When did the Allstars get together, and how many albums have you had out?

Luther: We formed in 1996. We have released 7 full length records, 2 EP's, 3 live records, a live dDVD and our release, "Do It Like We Used To Do", is a 12 year live retrospective- 2 CD's of live music and a documentary DVD.

Me: I have to ask you about "Do It Like We Used To Do". Where did that idea to do that project come from?

Luther: It was supposed to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, but it took me 3 years to put it together. It kept growing!!

Me: What is the Allstar's next project and yours after this current tour?

Luther: We are writing songs these days.

Me: Luther, tell the readers about "Guitar Xpress" and where they could watch it. It's a lesson CD, right?

Luther: I filmed guitar lessons teaching how to play 28 classic rock songs. You can watch some of them on the web.

Me: Were the Grammy nominations the Allstars received surprising?

Luther: Yes, that is a huge honor!

Me: Okay, I have to ask you about one of my favorite musicians of all time. John Hiatt is one of my all-time favorite singers and songwriters... how was he to work with?

Luther: A total pro and a gentleman! He taught us 50 of his songs by hand and we all had a blast. Amazing guy

Me: You also played with another favorite band of mine, The Replacements, but I have no idea which album or song. So, can you enlighten me? Would you ever work with Paul Westerberg again?

Luther: I played guitar noises on "Shootin' Dirty Pool". I was 13, they were recording in Memphis and my dad was producing. They were very cool to me! We all would love to work with Paul or Tommy any time.

Me: Luther, thanks so much for being on the Phile. It was a huge honor to have you here and I know you have to go. Hope to see you in Groveland in a few weeks. Go ahead and mention your website and please come back soon.

Luther: Thanks. nmallstars.com.





Well, that about does it for another entry. That interview was great, but so short. I have a million more questions for Luther so I hope he can come back. The Phile will be back on Saturday with blues legend and friend Kim Simmonds. Then on Sunday it's author Jack Boulware and on Monday it's the guys from Three Bonzos and a Piano. and then next Wednesday it's A Peverett Phile Christmas 3 pheaturing great singer Karling Abbeygate. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.






No comments:

Followers