Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pheaturing Ron Sexsmith


Hello, good evening and welcome to a Wednesday entry of the Phile. I have to say, I am dead tired as I just came home from work, so this doing the Phile on Wednesday's might be a short-lived thing. We'll see. It is so cold tonight, down in the sixties, and I have to wear jeans. Brrrr. Okay, let's start off with something serious first of, okay. Today is of course a day that will live in infamy. Well, not today as such but December 7th, 1941. Well, who saw this happening?Herman Cain has suspended his presidential campaign, but he has asked the Secret Service if they could continue to provide him protection, at least until his wife cools off. Cain said he wants to spend more time with the wife. Not his wife. Unemployment is down. People are out looking for work. That's good news. In fact, Herman Cain applied at Domino's and Pizza Hut. President Obama is getting some flak for his planned 17-day Christmas vacation. That's a long time, 17 days. I mean, even Mary and Joseph only took the day off for Christmas. To save money, the U.S. Postal Service announced the end of next-day service. That's a good way to get people to come back, isn't it? Make your service even slower than it already is. Speaking of saving money, this is news from England... Due to the bad economy, the Queen of England’s salary will be frozen for the next four years. In fact, to make ends meet the Queen is thinking of having a yard sale. Getting rid of a lot of stuff they don't use anymore, like Canada. Well, I mentioned Herman Cain has suspended his campaign, but he is still keeping busy. He and Ben and Jerry just released a new ice cream flavor. Take a look.

I was thinking, if the earthquake in Japan was payback for Pearl Harbor, then what will America get for Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Anyway, I was thinking about Japan today and I thought, man, those Japanese people are cool. Take a look at this.

And now for some sad news...

Harry Morgan
April 10, 1915 - December 7, 2011
Sherman Tanked.

So, kids, there's a lot of blogs on the internet. Not all have been updated with over four hundred entries, and not all have been up going on six years, or posted three times a week... but there's a few good ones. So, I thought it'll be a good time for another of...

The newest blog in the Hall of Fame is andreaoffermann.blogspot.com, and this is a picture and a paragraph from her blog. 

"3 Wünsche" von Petra Oelker - Lesung mit Bildern am 04.12.

Dieses Jahr hatte ich die Gelegenheit, eine wunderbare Weihnachtsgeschichte von Petra Oelker für den Kindler-Verlag zu illustrieren.
Die Geschichte spielt in Hamburg um 1773, und für die Recherchen durfte ich neben einem langen Besuch im Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte auch auf Frau Oelkers Wissensschatz (und ihre Archiv) zurückgreifen. Es war ein grossartiger Streifzug durch die Geschichte Hamburgs und des Hamburger Doms, und ich kann das Büchlein als Lektüre zwischen den Jahren nur empfehlen!

I have no idea what that means, but I am guessing the book. Speaking of books...

This is the 16th book to be pheatured in the P.P.B.C...

Jack Boulware will be a guest on the Phile next Sunday, kids. Also, it's time for the annoucement of the next artist to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Art Gallery.

It's British blues legend and member of Savoy Brown Kim Simmonds and this is one of his pieces...

Kim will be a guest on the Phile next week.
Today's guest is a is a Canadian singer-songwriter from St. Catharines, Ontario, currently based in Toronto. He started his own band when he was fourteen years old, and released the first recordings of his own material seven years later, in 1985. Some of the same artists who inspired Sexsmith—Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, Ray Davies and John Hiatt—are now people whose praise he has won. His new album "Long Player Late Bloomer" is available on iTunes and in stores and he'll be next appearing at the Edinburgh Picture House in Edinburgh, UK on January 24th. This is such a pleasure, please welcome... Ron Sexsmith.

Me: Hello, Ron, welcome to the Phile. This is a huge honor, sir. I know you said you don't have anything to promote as your album came out a while ago, but I am a huge fan, and I love your album "Long Player Late Bloomer". Anyway, how are you?

Ron: I'm pretty good, thanks

Me: I have to ask your last name... did it ever get you girls in school? Peverett didn't really help as it sounded too much like Pervert.

Ron: Well... I was kind of embarrassed of it as a kid, I heard a lot of variations of it as you can imagine. But I grew to like it I guess.

Me: You and I have the same musical tastes, sir. Paul McCartney, Costello and John Hiatt are three of my top favorite singers. If you could duet with anyone, who would it be?

Ron: Umm... well I think most of the people I would like to duet with are not living but
I think it'd be cool to duet with Feist perhaps.

Me: Have you met any of your idols?

Ron: Most of them actually... Ray Davies, McCartney, Lightfoot, Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell. I think the only ones I haven't met are dead except for Dylan but I don't really expect to meet him.

Me: Where did you start playing, Ron? Were you very young? I didn't know you were
from Canada until I read your bio. You had a nickname back in the day, right? The One-Man Jukebox.

Ron: I started playing at the Lions Tavern in Port Dalhousie near my hometown of St Catharines, Ontario. I was 17 and I was doing mostly covers at the time which is where I got that "One-Man Jukebox" title.

Me: Your first CD came out in '91 with the band The Uncool I think. Was that "Grand Opera Lane"?

Ron: Yes, it was.

Me: I first got your debut solo CD "Ron Sexsmith" in '96, and loved it the first time I heard it. It seems you have been around a lot longer though. How many albums have you released altogether?

Ron: Well, including "Grand Opera Lane" I think I've put out 11. There was an earlier indie cassette called "There's A Way" which I don't usually count.

Me: What are your next plans, Ron?

Ron: I'm not sure. I'd like to make another record someday.

Me: I think "Cobblestone Runway" is one of the best albums to come out in 2002, sir. Is that your very favorite album of yours?

Ron: I like that one. I don't know if it's my favorite but I'm really proud of the songs. In hindsight I don't think I sang very well on it though.

Me: I found a video of you playing on "Later With Jools Holland". Was that a fun gig? Who was on the show with you? Did you rehearse with Jools on piano or was it spontaneous?

Ron: I've done that show twice and both times Jools has sat in with me. We would rehearse it in his dressing room. Some of the other guests were REM, Super Furry Animals, Brian Eno,
Burning Spear. My mind is a bit foggy.

Me: Have you ever done American late night shows? I vaguely remember you were on Letterman once.

Ron: I've never done Letterman actually but I have been on Conan O'Brien's show twice.

Me: How many people have covered your music, Ron? I am a HUGE Nick Lowe fan and know he covered "Secret Heart". Does that make you feel good when peers of yours cover your songs?

Ron: I'm not sure how many covers I've had but Nick was the first one and it's still my favorite.

Me: Speaking of covering songs, your version of "I Don't Like Mondays" is brilliant!! Do you know if Mr. Geldof heard it?

Ron: I'm not sure if he's heard it. We did it for TV show but it got left out.

Me: I have to ask you about the Cuban band you have on your album "Exit Strategy of the Soul". Was that your idea or your producers? Who was the easiest producer who
have ever worked with?

Ron: It was Martin Terefe's idea. I think MItchell Froom has been the easiest to work with. I really look up to him.

Me: You didn't play Florida on your last tour, Ron. Are you planning on coming to Florida next time? When did you play Florida last, and where?

Ron: There's not too much demand for me in Florida, I wish there was though.

Me: Are you a fan of Graham Parker, sir? I am a big GP fan and had him here on the Phile twice.

Ron: Yea, I saw him in concert once. Great writer.

Me: You did an NRBQ song on the tribute album. Were you aware of the band before the album? How were you asked, or did you ask?

Ron: Yea, I was a big fan and I still am... they are one of the most underrated groups ever.

Me: Ron, you're from Canada and one of my favorite bands are from Canada so I like to ask my Canadian guests if they are a fan. Are you a fan of Barenaked Ladies?

Ron: Yeah. And, uh, did your dad do "Slow Ride"?

Me: Yep, recorded and wrote it. Ron, thanks for doing this, sir. What is your website and is there anything you would like to say to the readers of the Phile? All the best, my friend.

Ron: No worries, I hope I did okay. My website is ronsexsmith.com and they can reach at my Myspace too. 

Me: Ron, you did great. Please come back and I promise to ask better questions.




That was so cool having Ron Sexsmith here, but man... I asked the most boring questions. Sheesh! Anyway, the Phile will be back Sunday with local musician and radio talent Burt Wilson. Then on Monday it's Shanna Delaney lead singer for the band Bethesda and next Wednesday it's Luther Dickinson from North Mississippi Allstars. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.





No comments:

Followers