Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Peverett Phile Christmas 4 Pheaturing Chas Hodges


Hello, and welcome to A Peverett Phile Christmas 4, kids. We survived! That was the worst apocalypse ever. You were worried about 2012? Wait until January 1st, 2013. Things were bad in Australia during the apocalypse though. Check this screenshot out of the news.


And in London as well...


Everybody is safe though, right? I mean, did you really think Jesus would let the world end four days before his birthday? Alright, this is the Christmas special, so lets talk Christmas!  Only 2 shopping days left before Christmas. The big toy this year is the Furby. It's a toy that came out in 1998. It's weird how old junk suddenly becomes valuable and you wish you hadn't thrown them out... kind of like the way CNN feels about Larry King right about now.  I was thinking about Santa Claus. When you really think about it, this has to be the biggest, most elaborate prank in the history of the world. It's like we're all in on a huge joke we're playing on kids. And eventually they figure it out and they start lying to their kids, too.  As we get closer to Christmas, these Christmas tree lots try to rip you off because they know you're desperate. They know you need a tree. They're selling needles separately.  Do you like Christmas movies? I'm sure the new movies are good, but I'm upset there are no real Christmas movies. Like It's a Wonderful Life, where Jimmy Stewart finds himself in a world where no one can see him. It's like nobody's aware of his existence. I know that feeling. It's a Wonderful Life is the one where the angel earns his wings. Because remember, kids, an angel without wings is like Tom Selleck without a moustache, or like "Two and a Half Men" without a cast member going crazy. Instead of remaking an old Christmas movie, maybe Hollywood could make a sequel to a Christmas movie that people liked. Like that Tim Allen movie, The Santa Cause. There are people who'd love another one of those movies. By people, I mean Tim Allen.  Over the last few years, I had different politicians on the Phile including the President and First Lady. Well, the White House was nice enough to send me a Christmas card. Check it out.


I went to the mall the other day, and I have saw something that kinda surprised me.


Phail!  You know I love inspirational posters, right? Well, I couldn't have a Christmas entry without a Christmas inspirational poster. Check this out...


You know, I am not a big fan of gingerbread houses, but I thought this one was pretty cool.


You know, there are four stages to life. The first stage is believing in Santa Claus. The second is not believing in Santa Claus. The third is becoming Santa Claus. The fourth stage is looking like Santa Claus.  All right, let's get serious for a minute, President Obama was chosen as Time's Person of the Year, right? Well, myself and thousands of other people think there should be another person instead. Here you go...


And now for a popular pheature on the Phile. It's time for...



If you see what's wrong, email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. And now, from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is today's...


Top Phive Things You'll Have To Do Now That The World Didn't End
5. Get a lawyer and start fighting all those indecent exposure charges you racked up this week.
4. Hopy shit! Start Christmas shopping! Dear God... only two days left 'til Christmas!! Stupid Mayans!
3. Bite the bullet and buy a 2013 calendar.
2. Really, really regret "dancing as if no one was watching". 
And the number one thing you have to do now that the world didn't end...
1. Research if there are any other ancient civilizations with half-assed widely -discredited doomsday prophesies and start getting into those.


Well, in the last few months I was lucky enough to have a New York legend, surfer, singer, renaissance man and phriend of the Phile here. He wanted to come on the Phile today to wish everybody a Merry Christmas. So, please welcome back to the Phile... Laird Jim.


Random thought of the day... Just heard "Silent Night" as sung by Stevie Nicks... and for the first time I noticed what a mediocre singer she really is. Just sayin'.... I say this once a year, so here goes. If my wishing you a Merry Christmas offends you... Bite me.

Laird Jim, everybody! Merry Christmas, Laird. Now, a phriend of Laird's heads up Tara's Silent Angels who are paying it forward as New York's domestic disaster relief. I think I got that right. Anyway, I invited Tara back on the Phile for a special message. So, please welcome back to the Phile again, Tara Crawley.


This is exactly what has been on my heart for the last few days. The holidays are upon us and it can be a very joyful time of year. Some of us have problems during the holidays and sometimes are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are not with us. And, many people have no one to spend these times with and are besieged by loneliness. We all need caring thoughts and loving prayer right now. I ask my friends wherever you might be, to give a moment of support to all those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just need to know that someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune.

Thanks, Tara, you did amazing work this year.







This is a dream come true, and a really big Christmas present for me. Today's pheatured guest is an English musician and singer, probably best known for being one half, and lead vocalist, of the English musical duo, Chas & Dave. He has a new self-titled album out that is available on iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile, a true music legend... Chas Hodges!


Me: Hello, sir, welcome to the Phile. It is a HUGE honor to have you here. I have been a big fan since I was a kid. So, how are you?

Chas: I am fine.

Me: My parents were big fans as well. My dad was Lonesome Dave from Savoy and Foghat, Chas. Have you heard of Savoy Brown and Foghat?

Chas: I most definitely have. They made good music.

Me: Cool. Awhile ago I interviewed the guys from the Bonzo Dog Band, now known as Three Bonzos and a Piano. You have probably done quite a few shows with them if I had to guess, am I right?

Chas: Gigged with the many times at Universitys etc. with Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers & Heads Hands & Feet. They were unique.

Me: Chas, I know you are from London, but what part? I was born in Balham myself.

Chas: Edmonton.

Me: How old were you when you started to play piano, Chas? Do you remember what the first song you learned was?

Chas: I started when I was 16. It was the piano solo on "Little Baby, Baby Me" by Buddy Holly & the Crickets.

Me: I never knew you were in a band wih Ritchie Blackmore, who is known or being in Deep Purple. I am trying to get him on the Phile, but doubt he will. I met him in the 90's at a charity gig he did with my dad and he was very stand offish. Anyway, how was he back in the day? He is still a brilliant guitarist, even though he's into the witch craft stuff. Was he back then?

Chas: We had some laughs together but he had a strange side.

Me: Your music with Chas & Dave has been described as Rockney, is that a term you and Dave came up with?

Chas: Dave remembers I came up with it on the train coming back from Newcastle after a gig with 10 CC.

Me: Would the late great Ian Dury and Graham Parker full under the Rockney genre?

Chas: Yes. Could very well do so.

Me: I interviewed Graham twice, sir, did you know him?

Chas: No.

Me: Anyway, a lot of British singers tried to hide their British accents and sang more American, but people like Ian, Graham, and some others never did. Why do you think they did, and have you ever thought about doing that?

Chas: I used to sing in an American accent but decided to be myself. Then Chas & Dave were formed.

Me: Did you and Dave ever come to America to perform? You're not really known over here, Chas. Did that ever bother you guys?

Chas: Yes. Have performed in America & been well received. Would have liked to have done more. It's not too late. Perhaps Chas & his Band?

Me: Let's talk about Dave for a bit. How did you meet, and at first did Dave want the act to be called Dave & Chas?

Chas: I met Dave when I was thumbing a lift home from my girlfriends. Joan, who is now my wife. It was around 1963. I was on tour with Jerry Lee Lewis. A car pulled up & it was an old schoolmate Brian Juniper. Dave was in his band.

Me: I have a photo here of you both, one of the greatest duos ever!


Me: You both wrote the songs together, right? How did you two split up the work?

Chas: Some we collaborated on. Some I wrote entirely myself.

Me: A few years ago Dave retired from touring and recording... do you two still keep in touch? I am guessing after 35 plus years who do.

Chas: Yes.

Me: How did Dave approach you to say he was retiring?

Chas: He just said, "I'm not coming back to work, boy."

Me: Last year you guys got together and did a few shows, I bet that was very emotional. How were the audiences? I bet those were some great shows.

Chas: Great. We are doing another tour in Spring 2013.

Me: What was the last song you guys performed together?

Chas: "No Pleasin' You".

Me: Did you guys record it or film it for histories sake?

Chas: Yes, a BBC documentary that was shown this November.

Me: Chas, you have recorded a thousand songs with Dave... what is your favorite song you have ever written, or Dave has written?

Chas: "Ain't No Pleasin' You".

Me: I remember you had a song out in England in '86 when I lived back over there called "Snooker Loopy". I had the 45, and was really into watching snooker on TV. Over here it's just pool... anyway, whose idea was for you guys to write and perform a song about snooker?

Chas: Barry Hearns idea. He managed the snooker players at the time.

Me: Do you watch snooker, or play it? I remember Alex "Hurricane" Higgens", Steve Davis and Dennie Taylor. Snooker players are big stars over in England, or were. I wonder if they still are? What happened to those guys?

Chas: Hardly play or watch snooker. Most players are still around. Higgens is dead.

Me: That's sad. Man, I am getting off track. You're not here to talk about snooker. When you first came out on the scene as Chas & Dave, punk was really big. How did you guys fit in? You did have a swear word in "Gertcha", if I remember, but I can't figure out what word it is.

Chas: Cowson... "Gertcha" was banned by "Top of the Pops".

Me: Cowson? That's a swear word?

Chas: Sort of. In Victorian times.

Me: My grandmother, who was as Cockney as you can get, used to say that word. LOL. Chas, I once read that briefly you were a member of the Beatles. I am a huge Beatles fan, and find this fascinating. What was the occassion?

Chas: George, Paul, Ringo & me on piano jammed at Eric Clapton's wedding in the early eighties.

Me: Oh, man. How cool. Okay... let's talk about your solo album, which is self-titled. Did you write all the songs on it?

Chas: Yes, I did.

Me: I downloaded the album from iTunes and really liked it. How weird was it to be in the studio without Dave?

Chas: In my life I've probably spent more time in the studio without Dave than with so not weird at all.

Chas: You still tour, right? Are you playing a lot of Chas & Dave songs still? Dave sang on a bunch, so did you take over those vocals or retire the songs?

Chas: Still do C&D songs. I sing Daves verses.

Me: Who plays on the new album with you, Chas?

Chas: Only my granddaughter Charlie. Sax on one track... "Skinny Cats."

Me: Are you planning on coming out with a new release?

Chas: Just recorded "Got my Ticket for the Darts". Barry Hearns'  idea again.

Me: Thanks so much for being here on the Phile. Please come back when your next album comes out. I have a million questions to ask you. Please say hello to Dave for me. Go ahead and mention your website, sir.

Chas: Chashodges.com.

Me: Is there anything last thing you wanna say to the readers?

Chas: See you on the next gig.

Me: Take care, and good health. The amazing, legandary Chas Hodges, everybody!




Man, that was one of my favorite interviews ever, and a dream come true. He was in my top ten list of people I wanted to interview. Well, that about wraps it up like a Christmas present. Thanks to my guests Laird Jim, Tara Crawley and of course the one and only Chas Hodges. The Phile will be back next Saturday... yes, Saturday, with singer Anna Dagmar. Only three more entries to go this year, kids. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Merry Christmas!!



No comments:

Followers