Sunday, December 21, 2014

Pheaturing Phile Alum Aradia


Good morning and welcome back to the Phile for a Sunday. How are you?  So, two of Colorado's neighboring states, Nebraska and Oklahoma, are suing the Centennial State in an attempt to make the U.S. Supreme Court overturn its law which makes legal the sale and consumption of marijuana. "This contraband has been heavily trafficked into our state," Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said at a news conference. "While Colorado reaps millions from the production and sale of pot, Nebraska taxpayers have to bear the cost." There are always a few neighbors who'd rather call the cops than join the party, aren't there?  Though it is commonly believed by many skeptics that almost all of the alternative medicine health tips hawked by television personality Dr. Mehmet Oz are both demonstrably untrue and potentially dangerous, a new study published in the British Medical Journal shows that only about half of them can be classified as such. No doubt, he'll be celebrating this enormous victory with some acai berry margaritas! According to Dr. Oz, if you put acai berries in your butthole, you'll live forever. Nah. I don't think I wanna live forever.  Officials from the Miss World beauty pageant have announced that their annual contest... which features young beautiful women from around the world competing with one another for the honor of being named the most physically attractive woman on the planet will no longer feature a 'sexiest bikini round,' so as to not come off as sexist or anything.  As an article in the newest print edition of the Hollywood Reporter points out, an actor with red hair has never won one of the major Academy Awards for performance... unless you count any of the multiple exceptions that the article itself lists. It remains to be seen whether Julianne Moore, Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams or Emma Stone... all of whom are being hailed as Oscar contenders this year will be able to break this shameful trend. Let's hope not; it's too much fun being angry about stupid bullshit.  So, I was in the card shop the other day and I noticed something that caught my eye. This was almost a Mindphuck...


I thought it said something else.  So, the Phile has a new sponsor. Check it out...


It's a heater for your peter! Haha. Of course I don't think this one will fit on me. Hahahahaha.  Christmas is just a few days away and there's a company that makes pre-written gift tags. I have been showing you quote a few of them, and now I am gonna show you the last one.


Do you kids like that Elf on a Shelf? Like me tell you, that thing has such a great time. I'm jealous.


I told you the other day that some new Star Wars character names were just revealed on vintage-style trading cards. I low that's oldness but you might've not seen them and me being a huge Star Wars fan I thought I would show them to you.


Very excited for this! Big fan of this guy's "Take Offs and Landings" album. Alright, and now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is this week's...


Top Phive Startling Similarities And Differences Between The Final "Colbert Report" And The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies
5. Took a paper-thin premise and expanded it to greatness.
4. Is a fine example of quitting at the top of your game.
3. Maybe enjoyed without reprisals from North Korea.
2. To the end, has been a blistering, brilliant indictment of the conservative agenda.
And the number one similar and different between the final "Colbert Report" and that Hobbit movie is...
1. Will be finely remembered for years to come.




Okay, if you spot the Mindphuck let me know. Alright, well, I don't know if you heard on the news that two NYPD officers were ambushed and killed in Brooklyn by a lone gunman yesterday. Well, a friend of the Phile has something to say about it. He's a singer, patriot and renaissance man. You k ow what time it is...


Good morning, humans. Happy Sunday, phuckerz. Every once in awhile, I come across something about you humans that sickens me to my very core. Reading posts by people who applaud the ambush of two police officers eating lunch in their cruiser, pushes me past my limits. People posting things like "I guess now, THEY can't breathe." I beg of you... please... if you feel this way, come up and voice this opinion in my presence. I can ASSURE you, I will shatter every single bone in your face with my bare hands.


Today's pheatured guest is a Phile Alum whose latest CD is "Citizen of Earth" which is available on iTunes. Please welcome back to the Phile... Aradia.


Me: Hey, Aradia, welcome back to the Phile. How are you?

Aradia: Hello! Thanks so much for having me back... great to be here. I’m doing very well, just very busy.

Me: Okay, did you get married since you were on the Phile in January? If so, who is the lucky bastard?

Aradia: Aw, thank you! Yes, I did get married. His name is PJ and he’s actually my guitarist! Also an all-around great guy.

Me: How's Khan doing? That's your dogs name, right?

Aradia: That is indeed his name and he’s very flattered you asked about him. He’s doing pretty well... keeping up with his weekly swimming sessions and running the household with his wolfie domination as usual.

Me: You live in Seattle, right? Does it really rain every day there, Aradia?

Aradia: Yep, I live in Seatown. It’s so funny that there’s this ongoing myth about constant rain here. It’s actually nowhere near as bad as it’s made out to be. It can be pretty grey from November-May, but the summers are clear, warm, and sunny all the way through.

Me: So, let me guess, you are a Seahawks fan. Were excited they won the last Super Bowl?

Aradia: YES! I’m an avid ‘hawks fan and watch every game. We had a huge Superbowl party and let’s just say things got a little… out of hand.

Me: I am a Giants fan and they have no luck being in the playoffs or Super Bowl this year. Do you think the Seahawks do?

Aradia: That is too bad about the Giants! I actually didn’t think the Seahawks had a chance earlier in the season, but given the last few wins, I think we have a chance, either by winning the Division or via the Wildcard.

Me: You grew up in New York though, and lived on Long Island. Me too... what part of Long Island did you live and ever been to Port Jefferson?

Aradia: Indeed I did grow up in New York, and I have definitely been to Port Jeff! I lived in Brooklyn and in Valley Stream.

Me: What about Disney World? Ever been to Orlando?

Aradia: I went there when I was really little and don’t remember much, except that the It’s a Small World thing traumatized me, haha.

Me: Well, bring down your husband and I'll take you there. Aradia, I downloaded your new album "Citizens of Earth" from iTunes and really like it. I had a problem finding it though. Have you heard that from anybody else?

Aradia: I’m so glad you like it, thank you! Haven’t heard about any issues finding it, but I’ll ask around. The title is "Citizen of Earth", so the “S” at the end might be the issue?

Me: Haha. That might've been the problem. Where did the title come from?

Aradia: Well, I went on a trip to Peru this summer that for a few reasons made me reevaluate a lot of things in my life. When I came back and started writing down all the thoughts I had, I also wrote a blog post that is really sort of my manifesto. That post was titled Citizen of Earth, so I just ran with it.

Me: I love the video for the song "On Fire." Your videos have come a long way from the "Miss Communication" video in 2009, right?

Aradia: Thank you! It’s definitely my favorite so far. And… ahem… yes, heh, I’d say there’s been a ton of progress. It’s less about me than it is about the film crew. I found a team that really knows how to capture what I’m trying to convey and does a stellar job at both filming and editing.

Me: Was the video fun to film?

Aradia: Yes, it was very fun to film. I recruited my friends and live band to be in it with me and that really made it special.

Me: Was it filmed in Seattle?

Aradia: Yep! We filmed at the Butterfly Lounge in our Capitol Hill area.

Me: There's a different dog in this video, a big black dog, but I don't know what kind it is. Was Khan jealous?

Aradia: Ha! Yes, he was very jealous. There were actually two Great Danes on either side of my throne in “On Fire.” Amy from the film crew knew I loved dogs and happened to know someone who shows Danes and offered to bring them to the shoot. It felt pretty epic! Plus the dogs were adorable and sweet.

Me: I love the outfit you are wearing in the video and in the promo shot. I have to show it here...


Me: Did toy design it yourself?

Aradia: Again, thanks! This is actually one I did not make myself, though I normally make my own costumes. I had it made by one of my favorite companies, Artifice Clothing.

Me: How the hell did you get in it, Aradia?

Aradia: Haha... that is a great question. It looks worse than it is, thankfully! I had the foresight to order the stretch vinyl rather than the regular. Otherwise I would’ve been screwed!

Me: You design a lot of the outfits yourself?

Aradia: Most of them, yes. There isn’t always time to make the pieces I envision in time for shoots and shows, but I always aim for that. Everything I’m wearing in my website photos are pieces I designed and made myself.

Me: Is there a favorite outfit you design and wear?

Aradia: I think the “futuristic Victorian queen” dress I made is my favorite right now. It’s on the home page of my site... it’s aubergine taffeta with puffy black faux leather sleeves and an interesting neck accent. It’s the first piece I’ve made that really looks just like the original drawing I did when dreaming it up, so that’s exciting. I still have so much to learn though when it comes to design.

Me: I think I have a picture of that...


Me: That's cool. Okay, back to "Citizen of Earth"... did you write all the songs on the album, Aradia?

Aradia: Yep! I wrote all the songs on the album.

Me: Is the same band on this release that was on your other releases?

Aradia: So, when recording, I do all the work myself. I write everything and record/program all the synths, drums, keys, etc. I have a band that plays with me live, though, and I did ask the bassist and PJ to guest on two of the songs. All the other tracks you hear though are me playing.

Me: Cool! Will you be touring behind this album?

Aradia: Yes! Right now we’re playing locally and right around Seattle. The goal is to do a late spring tour when our drummer, Rob, gets done with this year of school.

Me: So, last time you were here I mentioned singer Lila Rose who has been on the Phile three times, and I said you should get in touch with her, or check her music out. You two could come up with some kller music together. Did you listen to her and check her out? Or did you forget?

Aradia: I didn’t forget, but you just reminded me to follow her on Soundcloud, thank you! I really dig her sound and I can certainly hear the stylistic similarities. Since she’s only in San Fran, I’m hoping we can hook up and share the stage some time!

Me: If you do, I wanna be at that show! You were once in a band, right? What was that band called?

Aradia: I’ve been in a couple of bands, and am in a rock band today, as well. My old band was called Twelfth Planet, and my current indie rock band is called I Am Still Emperor.

Me: Weren't you in all girls band?

Aradia: I’ve actually never been in an all-girls band, but I have definitely thought about it! I think it would be fun.

Me: Do you prefer being a solo recordist?

Aradia: I really like the magic that can happen when working with a band, but I’ve become so accustomed to working on my own. I write a lot of music really quickly so it’s just easier for me to go and bang it all out when it’s in my head.

Me: Hey, I have to mention I love this picture of you in the kitchen from Thanksgiving.


Me: Are you a good cook?

Aradia: Thank you! I always get together with my friends on Thanksgiving and eat way too much food. I’m an okay cook, but I’m a pretty good baker.

Me: I also love this picture of you hanging from the balloons.


Me: Were you really hanging and what was that concept?

Aradia: Wow, I’d actually forgotten about that one! That photo was based on my logo, which has a fairy holding a bunch of balloons. I thought it would be cool to make that concept real. For that shoot, I was standing on a little stool and holding a bunch of helium balloons to try and achieve the effect that I was floating.

Me: So, what's next for you, Aradia? Are you working on any new music?

Aradia: Always! I have an album’s worth of new songs I’m slowly finishing up, so maybe by the end of 2015 I’ll release another album. My focus for the near term is to keep connecting with fans and get on tour.

Me: You're a big sci-fi fan, right? What did you think of the trailer for the new Star Wars movie?

Aradia: That is for sure... I’m all about sci-fi. The new Star Wars trailer gave me goosebumps. It looks like it really harkens back to Star Wars’ beginning and I can only hope that it’s better than the last three that were made.

Me: Me too. As you know, on the Phile I ask random questions thanks to Tabletopics. Ready? What are the mist important qualities you look for in friends?

Aradia: Great question! First and foremost, I care whether we can connect on a deeper level. As far as personal qualities, I care most about honesty and how people treat others. Kindness is a must.

Me: Aradia, thanks for being on the Phile. Please come back when your next CD comes out. Go ahead and mention your website.

Aradia: Thank you for inviting me! So great to talk with you again and looking forward to talking again in the future! My website is aradiamusic.com and you can keep up with show dates and other updates there.

Me: All the best, and take care.

Aradia: You too, have a great holiday season!




That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to my guests Laird Jim and or course Aradia. The Phile will be back tomorrow with A Peverett Phile Christmas 6 Pheaturing Tommy Henriksen. Then next Sunday it's actress and host of VH1's "Dating Naked" Amy Paffrath and next Monday is the latest entry of 2014 with Painted On Water. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.









Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers