Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pheaturing Phile Alum Bree Rose From The New Royalty


Hey there, and welcome to a Thursday entry of the Phile. How are you?  Let's start off with some movies news, shall we?  Warner Bros. has confirmed rumors that Will Smith, Tom Hardy and Jared Leto will be in the cast of its planned 2016 film adaptation of DC Comics' "Suicide Squad" series, about a group of supervillains who are tasked by the U.S. government with an extremely dangerous mission in exchange for pardons. Jared Leto will pick up the mantle of the Joker. I could tell you who everyone else was playing, but odds are the names wouldn't mean any more to you than the title Suicide Squad does. The Suicide Squad cast looks great! I can't wait to get bored halfway through reading the Wikipedia page for whatever it is tonight.  HBO has announced the show that we'll all be watching and obsessing about every Sunday night in a year or so. Terence Winter's "Boardwalk Empire" follow-up will focus on the seedy, drug-fueled world of the music industry in the 1970s, and will be produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, who happen to know a thing or twelve about seediness, drugs, music and the '70s. It doesn't matter how well your life is going, you'll still ask someone for their HBO GO password.  The long winter of our collective discontent is over. No longer will you be forced to wait impotently by your door in the hopes that a sash-wearing ingenue will ring the buzzer and feed your jones for sweet, sweet cookies. The Girl Scouts of America has just announced an online cookie store. So, go ahead and gorge yourself on Thin Mints and Tagalongs! You deserve it. Girl Scout cookies can now be sold online! This is simultaneously the most wonderful and terrible thing that's ever happened.  Hey, guys. No big deal but someone has stolen about a hundred or so jars full of human brains from the University of Texas. Oh, and one of them might have belonged to notorious sniper Charles Whitman. Anyway, go about your day, and don't mind the dozens of stitch-faced abominations shambling toward you from the horizon line. That's a Texas thing. You know, whoever stole a hundred brains from University of Texas is probably really chill. Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking took the time out of his day to warn the human race that we are striving to create smart robots at our own peril. "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race," he told a BBC interviewer in his ominous robotic voice. "It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate" while "humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded." Yeah, but robots are cool, so, you know, it's a trade off.  so, are you trying to figure out what to get your little kids for Christmas? How about this?


Clues and Monsters. Something is wrong.  By the way, I always thought Pokemon came from Japan but apparently it comes from England. I should've know that. Check it out...


Dishface. Haha. That's almost funny.  Alright, I have to show you something. This is a real poster about rape. This is not a joke, this is 100% real and pretty disturbing.


Yep. No comment. Whoever wrote this is a fucking moron.  With the new Star Wars movie not coming out until a year or so they are already doing out with product tie-ins.


That's pretty clever. Okay, and now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Drawbacks To Girl Scout Cookies Being Sold Online
5. It now involves the U.S. Post Office... the one means of delivery less efficient than a bunch of tween girls sitting at card tables outside of supermarkets.
4. Once the vipers at Amazon get wind of it, they'll undersell the Scouts and drive them into bankruptcy within hours.
3. Morons are afraid to order because their computers block cookies.
2. Within seconds of ordering, your Facebook page will be overrun with ads for Lorna Doones, Little Debbie Nutty Bars and Nilla Wafers.
And he number one drawback to Girl Scout Cookies being sold online is...
1. Hackers will inevitably breach the Girl Scout site and possess the cookie preferences of millions.




This one is a little bit tricky. Let me know if you spot the Mindphuck.  Okay, before we continue I need to plug something... as you probably now, and if you don't, why... I have a music project called Strawberry Blondes Forever where I write the lyrics and my friend Dan Nowicki does the rest. Well, we have an album out called "How Do You Know My Name?" on iTunes and Amazon, Bandcamp and CDBaby and also a new Christmas single called "Christmas On My Mind." Here is the terrific artwork for it that I did.


Go to iTunes or cdbaby.com/cd/strawberryblondesforever5. And do yourself a favor and download it. Alright, it's Thursday and time to talk football with my good friend Jeff.


Me: Hey, welcome back to the Phile. We only have about four weeks left of the football season. Crazy, eh?

Jeff: Always good to be back here on the Phile. Yeah, just four weeks left in the regular season then we have the playoffs and the Super Bowl after that.

Me: Alright, I have to mention the Giants... there's talk that Eli is gone from the team. D'you think that'll happen?

Jeff: I don't think that Eli will be gone next season. Without a doubt Tom Coughlin will be. Eli, I think, will be safe for another year. The excuse that he was learning a new system with a different offensive coordinator will probably save him this time. If he continues to play like he has though, yeah his days in New York are over.

Me: I mentioned on Monday's Phile that Ray Rice is free not to get signed by the NFL. Are you surprised that happened? Where do you think he'll go now?

Jeff: There is a part of me that is surprised by it, but not a big part. While what Rice did was completely wrong, Commissioner Goddell has also come out of this looking like a power hungry villain. He looked back for suspending him, then after the video came out suspending him again. Even though Rice is eligible to be signed by a team, I don't know anyone that is willing to take on that P.R. nightmare right now. I stand by the fact I think Rice will play again in the NFL, just not this season.

Me: Any other NFL news going on?

Jeff: There isn't a lot of news this week. The playoffs are just as muddled as before. It will be an exciting end to the season for a lot of teams, a few teams seasons are all ready over... looking at both New York teams. I all ready said that Coughlin will lose his job. I also think that Rex Ryan will lose his job for the Jets. In Rex's press conference he said it's embarrassing that his team is 2-10. How do you think I feel, Rex? Your team beat Pittsburgh earlier in the season!

Me: Alright, so, how did we do this week, Jeff?

Jeff: This week, you gained on me. Both of our teams lost. I went 0-2 this week and you went 1-1. So I only lead now by 4 points. If you go 2-0 and the Giants win and I go 0-2 with a Steelers lose then you will actually be in the lead!

Me: Yeah!!! Let's do this weeks picks. I say 49ers by 9 and Lions by 13. What do you say?

Jeff: I will go with Minnesota by 3 and Texans by 7.

Me: Okay, good job as always, Jeff, see you here next Thursday. Jeff:

Jeff: See you next week.




Ian McLagan 
May 12th, 1945 – December 3rd, 2014
It's not a good week to be a sideman who played with The Stones...

Bobby Keys 
December 18th, 1943 – December 2nd, 2014
The saxophonist? The Universe, with any Rolling Stone to pick from, picks a fucking saxophonist?



The 31st artist to be pheatured in the Phile's Art Gallery is Joshua Bauer and this is one of his pieces...


Pretty cool. Joshua will be a guest on the Phile on Monday.



Today's pheatured guest is a Phile Alum who is a slow artist and the lead singer in the punk band The New Royalty whose new album "World of Color" is available on iTunes. Please welcome back to the Phile... Bree Rose.



Me: Hello, Bree, welcome back to the Phile. How are you?

Bree: I'm great, thank you!

Me: Last time you were here two years ago you were just graduating from high school and going to college I think. So, did you go to college?

Bree: Yes, I did and still attend a community college close to me. 

Me: What is your major, Bree?

Bree: Liberal arts music! Haha.

Me: How is it going with school?

Bree: Really great actually, I've never been a school person but college has been a completely different experience and I've gotta say I love it.

Me: When you were here before you were plugging your solo EP. Did you like doing your own project away from The New Royalty?

Bree: Of course, I want to do anything I can to help heighten my career. A solo EP was a lot of work for me but it helped me develop more as a writer and a performer.

Me: I described your band The New Royalty as a punk band, but it's not really punk... not what I think punk is. It's more like pop/rock, would you agree?

Bree: Our sound is continuously maturing and evolving, I no longer consider our sound pop/punk, many only did because of the great live performance we put on stage. Pop/rock I think is a suitable label.

Me: So, where did the name The New Royalty come from, Bree?

Bree: As a band we had a hard time confidently selecting an entity. We always wanted and still do strive to be the next new sounds, the next new rock band to take this scene and own it. Royalty came up in the picture and The New Royalty came together. With some getting used to, we loved the name and decided to keep it.

Me: Who is in the band with you? Your brother is in the band, right?

Bree: Yes, My brother, Nick Iafelice on guitar, Ricky Joyce on drums, Kyle Davis on bass and our recently new lead guitarist and backup vocalist Eric Drylewicz.

Me: You and Nick must be very close... I think I remember you two are twins, am I right?

Bree: Yea, we're twins and we're really close. Always together!

Me: I love this picture of you and Nick. You are both looking like you are having fun...


Me: So, how long has the band been around?

Bree: Since 2008.

Me: You're from New Jersey, but the band has played all over the States. You haven't played in Orlando yet though, have you?

Bree: No, not yet!

Me: What has been the biggest gig you have played?

Bree: Still to this day would be when we opened for Big Time Rush in the beginning of September a few years ago. the audience was around eight thousand. We've performed at several big events since then but nothing beats it!

Me: The New Royalty has opened for such bands as Less Than Jake, New Found Glory and Alkaline Trio, What has been the coolest band you have opened for?

Bree: This past summer tour we were able to meet a lot of great new upcoming artists, we got to open up for the Nick Tangorra Band and although they may not be the biggest act we've performed with, they are definitely the coolest. Such great guys, genuinely good people. They were very welcoming!

Me: If you could open for any band who would it be, Bree?

Bree: Well, considering the new fans we've made with the new sound, I would love the opportunity to open up for 5 Seconds of Summer. I know our fans would go crazy over that one.

Me: You guys have played a festival called Skate & Surf... do you do either?

Bree: Haha... I skate!

Me: I am guessing everyone in the audience was about your age, am I right?

Bree: Yea, I actually knew a lot of people in the crowd from high school/college.

Me: Are your fans mostly female or male?

Bree: It's been pretty mixed but recently, our new fans are mostly female!

Me: I am guessing you get a lot of guys hitting on you all time at your gigs. What does your boyfriend think about that?

Bree: Ehh, I do get hit on but not as often as you'd think, I've been told I'm intimidating to walk up to! Haha... my boyfriend is the lead singer of a punk band called Picture Perfect. He understands how the industry works and he knows I would I never do anything against him. Were a team and that's all that matters.

Me: What's this I read you opened for Rebecca Black? That "Friday" Rebecca Black? I didn't know she did concerts, and I thought she only had one or two songs out. Did you get to meet her or see her set? What was that like?

Bree: Yes, the "Friday" Rebecca Black! Haha... that was actually her first show she said! Very cool hearing her other songs too. She did great though, also performing that day was Hot Chelle Rae and Forever the Sickest Kids. We were lucky and got to meet everyone, including Rebecca who was elated after her performance, She was all smiles. Sweet girl.

Me: I am betting you blew her off the stage, am I right?

Bree: Haha... shhh, I like to think I do that to everyone.

Me: Bree, you are very energetic on stage it seems. What do you do before a show? You probably crash after a gig, am I right? I crash after posting one entry of this blog. Haha.

Bree: Haha... before every show I like to warm up my voice and my body, it's always good to be able to move on stage comfortably. I actually don't crash after every show, my energy usually stays consistent till I leave the venue and I'm back in the real world.

Me: You're young, that will change. Okay, let's talk about The New Royalty's new EP "World of Color" which is really good. Where did the title come from, Bree?

Bree: It came from one of the songs on our EP, "Stop the World". My line is " I fancy life through a world of color." The way I see it is this world is fully of amazing places to explore and the beauty is almost overwhelming. I love nature and I being on tour, I want to explore the world and I know I will. My world right now is definitely full of color.

Me: The band does seem very colorful. Anyway, did you write the songs on the EP yourself?

Bree: We wrote the songs as a band, all together.

Me: The New Royalty started out as a cover band originally... what bands and songs did you cover?

Bree: Oh boy, that was so long ago but we did everything, you name it we covered it. We performed Avril Lavigne, Ashley Simpson, Sublime, Sum41, Green Day and even Led Zeppelin! We did it all...  haha.

Me: When did you start writing your own music? 

Bree: When I decided music was going to be my career.

Me: How old were you when you starting writing, Bree?

Bree: I wrote my first song at 15 years old.

Me: I like that you have released some Christmas music. Christmas must be a big part of your life.

Bree: I love Christmas! I have a huge family and Christmas time is the best! Everyone comes back together. We did these Christmas songs to take catchy music everyone knows and make them our own, only better and write new ones. I can't begin to explain how much it helped us mature as writers

Me: Hey, I gotta ask, being from New Jersey, are you a Giants fan? I hope so.

Bree: Haha... I don't follow it too much but many of the family who live with me love the Giants.

Me: Okay, so, on the Phile I ask random questions now thanks to Tabletopics. Here's yours... Do you possess any of your qualities of your astrological sign? Do you even believe in that stuff?

Bree: What a great question! I believe everyone is different in their own ways and it can't always be predetermined by the time of year you are born. My birthday is June 5th so I'm a Gemini. One think I've always found cool about my sign is that it is the sign of Twins, which me and Nick share. Some say Genini's are the most outgoing and sociable, I would say I'm sociable but I'm also very shy at first. Truth is, everyone's different!

Me: Good answer. So, what's next for you? A new solo project or another band project?

Bree: I'm going to be releasing new music for my solo project as well as another EP with The New Royalty! The sooner the better!

Me: Thanks so much for being on the Phile again, Bree. Go ahead and mention your website and I wish you continued success. Please come back again soon, okay?

Bree: Of course, anytime. Thank you so much! Take care! thenewroyaltymusicnj.com.

Me: Take care, and good luck with college.





That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Jeff Trelewicz as always and Bree Rose. The Phile will be back on Saturday with actress Natalie Mitchell, then on Sunday it's jazz singer Aubrey Johnson and on Monday artist Joshua Bauer. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.










Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers