Sunday, November 27, 2016

Pheaturing Ricky DiMaio


Hey, kids, welcome to the Phile for a Sunday. How have you been? It's happening: Wisconsin prepares for a recount. Ugh. As if this election hasn't caused everyone enough stress, on Friday, November 25th, the Jill Stein for President Campaign submitted a petition for recount in Wisconsin with mere hours to spare, according to the Wisconsin Elections Commission. Stein, the presidential Green Party candidate, garnered 1.2 million votes in the election, and many have made the case that she diverted votes away from Clinton. Maybe she's been racked by guilt for the past weeks. Maybe hasn't slept since the night we all learned Donald Trump would be the next President of the United States. Whatever the cause of her manic fundraising energy, Stein somehow managed to come up with more than $4 million since Wednesday. Independent candidate Rocky Roque De La Fuente also submitted a petition. Now, a recount will begin in Wisconsin. Yesterday morning following the news of the recount, Marc Erik Elias, an attorney for Hillary Clinton's campaign, announced that the Clinton Campaign plans to participate in the recount as well, though they had not planned to pursue it themselves. The Commission has assembled an internal team to direct the recount, which Commission Administrator Michael Haas explains is more thorough, expensive and time-consuming than just an audit, "In a recount, all ballots (including those that were originally hand counted) are examined to determine voter intent before being retabulated." Plus, they only have until the federal deadline of December 13th to complete it. Get ready for some long nights and weekends, vote counters. The real question here is whether or not the recount will have any affect on the results of the election. Elias noted that the margin by which Trump won in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania (the three states Stein is hoping to petition), is larger than any outcome that has been successfully reversed by a recount. At the very least, a recount helps maintain a standard of election integrity. If you want to get involved, you can donate money for the recounts in the other two Midwestern states whose deadline for petition are fast approaching. Or, you can sit back and watch the last month of 2016's madness unfold. Jesus, take the wheel.
Shortly after losing the absolute garbage nightmare of an election to Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton was spotted by a mom and daughter out for a hike in Chappaqua, New York... and had Bill Clinton take their photo. It seemed that Hillary was optimistic and resolute even in defeat, looking to the future. Then, because god forbid we have something nice go unruined for two seconds, the poor mom started receiving death threats from Trump supporters, and said she wished the story would just go away. This, however, did not deter another mom and daughter from getting a pic with the almost-first-woman-president while out for a hike over the week of Thanksgiving. It's another cute story, and we're glad Hillary is making the most of her free time as a civilian... even as Green Party candidate Jill Stein mounts an vote recount in several key states that narrowly went to Trump. But some are becoming concerned that the long-suffering Democrat is permanently lost in the woods. What could it all mean? Is there any way we can get her back? Is she in danger? Should we hike out there and seek her counsel? Is she destined to become a myth? Has she made a home out there? Should we follow her lead? Could the wilderness hold the answers? Are there connections we're not seeing? Is it worth the trek to see her? How the hell is she still smiling? Most importantly, does she just want to be left alone? Also, what does the future hold? It's hard to say what sort of enlightenment she's looking for out there, or how long it'll take to find it. But when you're ready, Hillary, civilization will be waiting here for your return. Uh, probably.
Chicago politician Howard Brookins Jr. went on a public tirade against squirrels last month that may have come back to haunt him. In October, the alderman for Chicago's 21st ward ranted about "aggressive squirrels" which he said were terrorizing the city-supplied garbage cans. Then last week, Brookins survived a squirrel attack. Coincidence? Probably. Either that, or squirrels are much smarter than we give them credit for and we should all be very, very afraid. On November 13th, three weeks after his anti-squirrel tirade, the alderman was on a bike ride when a squirrel jumped in to the spokes of his bike causing him to flip over the handlebars, "The Star Tribune" reports. He was hospitalized with a fractured skull and injuries to his face and torso, but is recovering. "I am okay and I have been recovering in the hospital since the accident," he wrote in a Facebook post last Sunday. The squirrel, however, did not survive the incident. RIP squirrel. Some news outlets were not explicit about the exact details of the squirrel attack, like the "Chicago Sun Times" who simply referred to it as a "freak accident." But Brookins told the "Tribune" he knows the truth. “I can think of no other reason for this squirrel’s actions than that it was like a suicide bomber, getting revenge,” he said. Squirrels, if you're reading this, I have nothing but respect for you and what you do with your spare time. Live and let live. Capiche?
Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief because Elton John's rep says the singer will not be playing at Donald Trump's January 20th inauguration, despite earlier claims by a Trump advisor. Anthony Scaramucci, a member of the Trump presidential transition team executive committee, told the BBC last week, “Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall for inauguration.” He also said the gesture would showcase the administration's "pro-gay rights stance." (Uh, hi, have you heard about VP-elect Mike Pence??) Elton John's rep has since responded to these claims with a resounding NOPE. “Elton will not be performing at Trump’s inauguration," said the rep in a statement. This makes sense, since John was a vocal Hillary Clinton supporter who said at a campaign event in October, "We need a humanitarian in the White House, not a barbarian." Well, that's a little morsel of good news in the midst of an ominous news cycle. And we'll take it!
It's about time that I admit publicly on the Internet that I have seen a handful of "Gilmore Girls" episodes. I know, I'm sorry. And I'm not gay. Anyway, despite my lack of in-depth knowledge of the show, I can absolutely say with confidence that fans of the show have already watched the revival that was released on Friday, and boy do they have some things to say. Emotions ran high, second revival seasons were demanded, and honestly some of them sound like they are speaking a different language to me. Here you have it, everything I've learned about the show along the way. "Gilmore Girls" is our savior from Black Friday. Some people watched it in one sitting! Some people even think they might die if there aren't more episodes. I'm no expert but seems like people are dissatisfied with the ending? From what I can tell, Jess is the good guy (possibly too good??). And you are NOT into a guy named Logan (who is probably a classic bad boy). Plus, Jess totally still loves Rory! Rory, what are you doing?! Seems like Rory needs to get her shit together. But then again, Logan knows how to buy a shirt that fits well, so can I blame her? Unlike, Luke, who CLEARLY doesn't care about appearances. Here is a math equation that might make sense to you: But apparently, no one truly knows. Because something was said in the last four words that messed everybody up pretty bad. Will I ever watch the show from the beginning and figure out if I'm #TeamJess or #TeamLogan? If I do, one thing is for sure: I'll need a lot of snacks.
Christmas is less than a month away and the ads are already out there. Like this one...


Buy yourself a gun. There's a new video game that just came out in time for Christmas, kids. My son would probably want this...


Hmmm. I don't know what to think. That Donald Trump sure has a sense of humor. Did you see the bumper sticker he put on one of his planes?


You have to laugh, right? So, the last few entries I have told showed you actual Star Wars themed sex toys. Well, there's another I have to show you.


That's very clever. Have you seen the box of Wheaties recently? I was surprised to see who was on it.


That's great! So, when I saw this pic earlier...


It reminded me of something. And then it hit me...


Crazy, right? Are you looking for a fun way to add a little instant cheer to your home or office? You need the inflatable Mistletoe ($9.45).



This quick and easy decoration includes a hang tab and string. You can buy it here... neatoshop.com/product/Inflatable-Mistletoe?tag=1627. Oh, wait... it has been discontinued. Never mind. And now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is this week's...


Top Phive Signs You Over Ate On Thanksgiving
5. The coroner lists your official cause of death as "Turkey Leg Thrombosis."
4. You come to on the floor, surrounded by bones, and your family is nowhere to be found.
3. A week later, you find the meat thermometer in your stool.
2. The paramedic who gives you mouth-to-mouth comes up with mashed-potato mustache.
And the number one sign you over ate on Thanksgiving is...
1. Around the country, the thing most people are thankful for is that "that fat bastard Marty isn't at our table this year..." and you're Marty!




If you spot the Mindphuck let me know. Okay, it's Sunday so I think its time I talked football with my good friend Jeff.



Me: Hey there, Jeff, welcome to the Phile again! How are you?

Jeff: Always great to be back on the Phile. Last week I felt like I was both the host and musical guest on "Saturday Night Live." This time, only one duty. Taking it easy!

Me: Yeah, that was cool. So, what the hell Tony Romo broke his collarbone carrying water to Zak Prescott on the sideline?

Jeff: Hahahaha, I wouldn't laugh if that wasn't accurate. It's sad when the guy is so injury prone.

Me: What do you think of the game in Mexico City? Those fans were nuts... Final score from Mexico City was Refs: 27 Texans: 20. Haha.

Jeff: They are truly making the NFL an international game. Games in London and now Mexico City? What next? Canada? Nope! Texans had plenty of opportunity themselves. The refs kind of blew it, yes, but they are not the only ones to blame.

Me: Did you see Ramen Noodles were served seat side at the Mexico game? I never had those noodles ever!

Jeff: In the states we have hot dogs and nachos for football games, they get Ramen Noodles? Advantage America!

Me: So, the poor Browns' tickets are going for 6 dollars! Let's go!

Jeff: Nope. You'd have to pay me to see a Browns game. I did look since the Steelers were playing NFC East teams if we were going to be in New York but nope. It's a home game for the Steelers. Oh bragging rights will be on the line that week!

Me: We'll see. What other NFL news is there?

Jeff: There's not a whole heck of a lot. Last week you asked me if Gronk was out for the year, well apparently he's not. He could be available as early as this week if you can believe that after the injury he suffered two weeks ago. Adrian Peterson is also practicing and could return his season after they said he was out for the year.

 Me: Hey, did you see the Redskins finally changed their name? Here's the new logo.


Jeff: LOL. Still better than Cleveland, Chicago and Jacksonville. Though that's not saying much!

Me: Okay, so how did we do last week? Both of our teams won.

Jeff: Yes, both our teams won. But only one person had a perfect week. And that person was me! I went 2-0 while you went 1-1. So my lead is once again 2 points.

Me: This is a close year for us. The Giants are playing the Browns so go ahead and give me that point now. Ha. Lets do this weeks picks. I say Saints by 4 and Falcons by 2. What do you say?

Jeff: Cleveland has to win at some point... right? No? Nevermind. Point to Giants! I will go with Raiders by 3 and Titans by 6.

Me: Alright, I'll see you here next Sunday.

Jeff: See you next Sunday.




Ron Glass 
July 10th, 1945 — November 25th, 2016
Fish was calling from the Great Beyond, looking for some backup.

Fidel Castro 
August 13th, 1926 — November 25th, 2016
Cigars for everyone!

Florence Henderson 
February 14th, 1934 — November 24th, 2016
Here's the story of a lovely lady who was bringing up three very lovely girls All of them had hair of gold like their mother and then she died of heart failure.



The 53rd book to be pheatured in the Phile's book club is...


I said that Jim Korkis would be the on the Phile next Monday but actually he will be on the Phile next Sunday.



The 32nd artist to be pheatured in the Phile's art gallery is Merk and this is one of his pieces...


Merk will be a guest on the Phile tomorrow.


Today's pheatured guest is an Orlando based actor who has been in such short films like Buried Deep and Eye on the Prize. Please welcome to the Phile... Ricky DiMaio.


Me: Hey, Ricky, welcome to the Phile, man. You're finally here! How's it going?

Ricky: Thank you, very excited to be part of this! I am doing well staying busy with projects and of course the holidays coming up.

Me: Okay, so, full disclosure... we used to work together back at Epcot many, many years ago. When did you start to work there, Ricky?

Ricky: Boy, let me think! June 1994 to February 2000 I believe. Started off in Custodial then to Epcot Guest Relations then Innoventions.

Me: What's your best memory of us working together?

Ricky: I always remember how happy I was when I worked in your area and you were my lead. You always had me laughing. I remember how concerned you were for me when I had my boating "accident" in the World Showcase Lagoon while cleaning up firework debris.

Me: Oh, man, I forgot all about that boat accident! You gotta tell the readers what happened. You had to get a tetanus shot, right?

Ricky: LOL... yes, I had to get a tetanus shot. Every morning Epcot Custodial would send out three people into a boat to clean up the firework debris left behind from the night before. We would have to do this before the World Showcase opened. If I remember right we were behind a little and the World Showcase was ready to open and the driver sped back to get out of the Lagoon before it opened. I guess he hit something that caught the engine and it stopped dead in its tracks and me and another guy fell in the Lagoon. Afterwards we had to get the shot cause the water was so dirty. The memory I have the most is when I got out of the water you could see everything because I was wearing the Custodial whites... LOL.

Me: I remember it so clearly now. I looked for a pic of the both of us back then but couldn't find any. Do you have one? This was way before cameras were on phones... or the other way around.

Ricky: Sadly I don't have any, wish I did during my time at Disney as it is still one of the best times I ever had working.

Me: So, before we talk about your acting I have to mention two things... one: in 2004 you were diagnosed with cancer. I know how you feel... but I won't go into that. What kinda cancer did you have, Ricky? How are you now?

Ricky: Yes, I did have cancer, it was testicular cancer that spread to my stomach. So I had months of radiation and chemo treatment. Very difficult times even more so because we just had our first baby. So it was scary, but today I am good and at the moment cancer free.

Me: Congrats! And the second thing is I once saw an obituary of you on-line written by your brother Timmy saying you died in 2010. I have to show it here...


Me: What the fuck? Do you know about this? Can you explain it?

Ricky: Haha! Yes, I know about it and it was a joke my brother was playing while not realizing it would actually go public.

Me: That's crazy. I thought first am I interviewing my first ghost on the Phile? I have interviewed a superhero, rat and gnu before so anything is possible.

Ricky: No, but how cool would that be? I would have Elvis right next to me. So a two for one deal. 

Me: You have two girls, right? What do you think of your acting?

Ricky: Yes, I have two girls ages 12 and 9. They get a kick out of seeing their daddy on film. My youngest has got the acting itch so I am trying to teach her the ups and downs. But she also understands I want her to have a solid career plan.

Me: I remember you said years ago you wanted to act... and now you're doing it. So fucking cool. When did you first start seriously doing it?

Ricky: I started seriously doing it about four years ago. Like you stated I always wanted to do it but always had an excuse not to. A friend I meant asked me to stand in for an actor and he ended up asking me to play the part. That is when I knew this was what I wanted and needed to do.

Me: You just do short films, right? No theater work?

Ricky: Correct... just film short and full length. I don't think I can do theater work, it's a different style then what I am use to.

Me: Do you have any acting background? Did you go to school to study acting or does it just come naturally?

Ricky: This question can get me in trouble... haha! I did take several classes, but I feel there is no better training then getting your ass out there and do auditions and then getting on a real set.

Me: You're a huge Elvis Presley fan... he acted, so do you watch his movies and take anything away from that?

Ricky: Of course. Elvis is my hero and not just as the entertainer but also as the person he was. People make fun of Elvis's acting and his films but in reality Elvis was a fantastic actor. He taught me that even though you might not like the part you still go out there and give it your all no matter what! 

Me: What's the hardest thing about acting for you? Mine would be learning the lines. I have done stand up and that was hard enough.

Ricky: The hardest thing for me is making sure I sound real, not like I am reading from a piece of paper. I am an actor who does not overly study my lines. I will read the script and practice my character in front of a mirror. But I like to keep it fresh not robotic.

Me: You have a strong northern accent, Ricky. Does that hinder you in roles you get?

Ricky: To a certain point. I have worked with a voice coach to help with my accent. But it always seems the director wants me to have it. The director thinks it brings something to the character so I don't complain... haha!

Me: I bet you are going to auditions all the time, am I right?

Ricky: I get to about three or four a week. It's a difficult business so you really want to love it and be very patient and forget about making any kind of money in the beginning. That's not what it's all about!

Me: Okay, let's talk about some of the shorts you have done... the first was Buried Deep, am I right?

Ricky: No, Buried Deep was my third or fourth film. My first was Acceptance where I played a dad who comes back from the dead to help make his son understand he is now the man of the house.

Me: Ahhh. Where was that film shot, Ricky?

Ricky: Acceptance was shot at Full Sail, as for Buried Deep it was shot in Tampa at the directors house on a cold December weekend.

Me: So, when you guys took that pic of the poster for it did any of you think of jumping in the pool?

Ricky: Haha! No fucking way, It was freezing that evening. We were all so cold siting there for almost two hours to get the perfect photo for the poster. The photographer was very tough.

Me: Another short you did was Eye on the Prize which you played the lead in it. Was that also filmed locally?

Ricky: I have been very lucky most of the films I have done I got to be the lead. But Eye on the Prize was a different role for me because I got to play a politician. It was filmed at Dreamcatchers Ranch in Clermont, Florida.

Me: Do you feel a lot of pressure being the lead character?

Ricky: I do because the entire film is on your shoulders. But as long as you work with an amazing crew and talent it makes it much easier. As a lead you can be on set for 10-12 hours straight shooting. But I always feel I have it better then the crew. The crew are the ones that work their ass off to make the talent look amazing.

Me: I can see you as a character on "The Walking Dead" easily. Do you even watch that show?

Ricky: I did watch it but decided to stop when it became to soap opera for me. But I actually auditioned in Atlanta for a role last year on "The Walking Dead."

Me:  You're also a Star Wars fan... are you excited for Rogue One?

Ricky: I am very excited, more so because I will see Darth Vader since Revenge of the Sith. I also feel this film will be very emotional.

Me: Did you like The Force Awakens?

Ricky: I did and did not. A part of me felt like it was a New Hope re-done but I loved seeing the old gang and some of the new characters. I was a little disappointed they didn't have R2-D2 more in the film. He is the best! Haha!

Me: Artoo is my favorite as well. Did you think of going to Atlanta and auditioning for movies there? Seems everything is being filmed there.

Ricky: I do but right now it's difficult with my two daughters. But I have been putting things in motion to try and go up there this summer for auditions.

Me: What about L.A. or New York?

Ricky: Hell yeah on both... haha! I am going to wait for my daughters to get a little older.

Me: Is there a lot of production going on in Central Florida?

Ricky: There is, you just have to be smart about the parts you take here in some of Florida productions. What is nice is that you have several schools that teach film and a lot of smart and bright upcoming directors.

Me: Everything you have done is drama, right? Can you see yourself doing comedy?

Ricky: So far but I am actually getting ready to film a comedy in January.

Me: Cool. What the fuck? I just saw you on a movie poster for a short called The Confrontation. Check it out...


Me: You look pissed... but it's a great pic.

Ricky: Haha! That's a normal look for me... haha! Yeah, that was my character... I played a shit head boss.

Me: Are your shorts shown at film festivals, Ricky?

Ricky: Most of the ones I have been in have been. I believe two or three won awards.

Me: Not only do you act, but you're also directing a film as well, am I right?

Ricky: I have directed two films. One called Rescue Ranch and the other was called Maggie's Little Game. I just wrapped Maggie's Little Game in August and working on the first edit. But my true love is acting. Directing is so fucking stressful... haha, that's why I have tons and tons of respect for directors.

Me: When did Rescue Ranch come out?

Me: Rescue Ranch has been done for a year now and I am placing it into festivals right now. As for Maggie's Little Game not a 100% sure. It's a horror thriller so I might hold off on releasing it until next Halloween.

Me: Where can anybody go and see your films, Ricky?

Ricky: Right now you can see some of my work on my Facebook page. As for others if the director sends them in for festivals or a pilot for a series I am not allowed to show the film until the director okays it. But you can also find some of my work on YouTube.

Me: I am so glad you were on the Phile at last, my friend. So, what is your next movie coming out?

Ricky: I am filming a feature called Tommy, I play the lead character. That's all I can say for right now... haha! But it's the most difficult character I have played so far.

Me: I have to give this link to your demo reel... youtube.com/watch?v=_e0Bz2XygFQ. So, do you have a website or anything you wanna plug?

Ricky: My acting Facebook page which is different from my personal on. Just search Ricky DiMaio and like my page.

Me: Alright, I hope you can come back on the Phile again soon when Tommy comes out. Anything you wanna say?

Ricky: I appreciate this interview. It's funny how things take a turn... haha! Who would of thought you would ever be interviewing me. I am always open for roles so if any casting director reads this look me up.

Me: Take care, Ricky, and continued success, my friend. Maybe one day I'll see you on "The Walking Dead" or a Star Wars movie. Imagine a Ricky Di Maio action figure!

Ricky: You to, my friend. Star Wars would be so amazing... could you imagine. I think I would pass out if I had my own action figure... haha!




That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to my guests Jeff Trelewicz and Ricky DiMaio. The Phile will be back tomorrow with artist Merk. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.
































Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers